Monday 3 December 2012

I've been dye-ing to do this!

Oh the dilemmas! I have decided I don't want to wait a moment longer to dye my yarn. I went looking for a Kool-Aid based colour combinations because of course I couldn't look for anything simple. The first site I went to had packets of colours I don't have yet. So I went looking again and found this site about mixing solid packets and then a new problem arose as I saw each all of the different colours. And I wanted to dye them all!. I think I've settled for either ice blue or lemon-lime but of course I can attempt to be daring and try to mix colours together with absolutely no previous experience.

Right now I've for my yarn soaking for 30 mins before I add the colour. My cuz said I looked like I was wearing spaghetti when I had the skein around my neck as I transported the bucket and Kool-aid up to the kitchen.



So the yarn is now done soaking and I asked my grandfather's opinion I. Colour and he really liked the Icey Blue.



So the yarn has been zapped in the microwave 3 times so far for 2 minutes a piece, with about 5 minutes of resting in between. At last check, the outer parts if the yarn were a very nice shade of blue but there was quite a bit more white than I wanted in the middle so stir stir stir and zapped it back in the microwave. Lets see it's progress now.



The colour from the water is almost all gone and there is still quite a bit of white. I wish I had stirred it after the first 2 mins. Ah well! Such is life I cannot wait to see how these will turn out for a pair of socks

.
I squeezed out as much water as possible from my newly dyed skein after it was rinsed.  No colour came off during the rinsing so I assume that is good.  I took it down to the basement and hung it out to dry on the clothes lines hanging over the sink...of course checking on it every 5 minutes wondering to myself "Is it done yet?"


I love the finished skein and I really want to go through this whole process again.  I've even managed to talk my mother to look out for the more "exotic" (aka anything other than orange, grape, cherry) varieties of Kool-aid.  Wouldn't this make a pretty gift?


No comments:

Post a Comment